ACT 1 is thrilled to announce auditions for its final production of the 2016/2017 season:
Reefer Madness, the Musical
Auditions will be April 17th & 18th, 6:30-9:50pm. [Callbacks - April 20th, location TBA] at Berry Hill Community Center (404 E Iris Dr, Nashville, TN 37204).
Synopsis: Inspired by the original 1936 film of the same name, this raucous musical comedy takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the hysteria caused when clean-cut kids fall prey to marijuana, leading them on a hysterical downward spiral filled with evil jazz music, sex and violence.
Auditions will be in small groups in the following time Slots:
6:30-6:55PM, 7-7:25PM, 7:30-7:55PM, 8-8:25PM, 8:30-8:55PM, or 9-9:50PM.
Arrive 5 minutes early for paperwork, each person will have 4 minutes to finish song and monologue. Dancing will be at Callbacks ONLY.
You must sign up for your audition: signupgenius.com/go/5080c48a9a623a5fa7-reefer.
Auditioners will be asked to perform one-minute of a song (32 bars) in style of show (not FROM Reefer Madness) and one-minute comic monologue or public service announcement about the dangers and evils of marijuana. Please bring sheet music, headshot & resume to audition.
Rehearsals Begin: May 1, 2017
Show Runs: June 9-24, 2017
Producer: Leslie Berra
Musical Direction: Rollie Mains
Choreography: Stephanie Jones-Benton
- The Lecturer (Baritone, 40s or Older) - A severe authority figure who warns the audience of the perils of Reefer Madness. Also Goat-Man, Mr. Poppy, Irish Priest, Old Man, Radio Announcer, Ticket-Taker, Policeman, FDR.) [Callback Song: “Reefer Madness”]
- Jimmy Harper (Baritone/Tenor, 18-26) - A wholesome, innocent, high school teenager who runs into trouble after he is lured into the dangerous world of reefer. [CALLBACK SONG: “Mary Jane/Mary Lane”]
- Mary Lane (Soprano, 18-26) - Jimmy’s sweetheart, a naive, virginal teenage girl. [Callback Song: “Lonely Pew”]
- Jack (Tenor, 25-40) - The handsome and ruthless proprietor of the Reefer Den, a 30s gangster movie-type. (Also Jesus, George Washington) [Callback Song: “Listen to Jesus, Jimmy”]
- Mae (Alto, 25-40) - An attractive, yet slightly haggard dame in her mid-30s, the hostess of the Reefer Den. [Callback Song: “The Stuff”]
- Ralph (Tenor, 25-45) - Denizen of the Reefer Den, formally a fraternity man, his college days ended long ago due to his reefer habit. (Also Sally’s Baby, Switch-Puller, Uncle Sam) [Callback Song: “Little Mary Sunshine”]
- Sally (Mezzo-Soprano, 20-30) - Sexy seductress of the Reefer Den, possesses the libidinous soul of Mae West combined with the moxie of Barbara Stanwyck. (Also Lady Liberty)
- 8-10 Ensemble Zombies, Jungle Dancers, Angels, Teens, Townspeople, Patriots
Reefer Madness, the Musical is directed by Jason Lewis. Performances will be June 9-24, 2017 at the Darkhorse Theater.
For additional information, please see our Facebook event.